Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The First Day of Next Year



Here's how I fell in love with the Cubs, and Chicago: WGN promotions. They sucked me in, made me want to be a part of it, made me want to spend my summer afternoons at Wrigley Field, amongst all these amazingly happy people enjoying a beautiful day at the ballpark, even when I was miles away at college in Lawrence, Kansas. My friend Laura and I spent our afternoons watching baseball and at the end of the summer I knew I wanted to be a part of that, that ballpark as your neighbor kind of fun. The lights came on at Wrigley that summer and the WGN promo, run over and over and over, was my favorite thing on television "and Ryno rocked the rooftops, and Dawson made them sway...,". I could imagine nothing greater than living near this shrine, "when finally at old Wrigley, the stars come out at night".

Twenty years later I live down the street and I can see those lights from my yard. If only I could find the words to the Stars Come Out at Night poem, what a wonderful bedtime story that would be. Right then, Go Cubs!



My love is here to stay.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails