Tuesday, April 16, 2013

There They Are, Just as Mr. Rogers Promised

In December, when I was forced to try and explain one more senseless tragedy to a very curious 8 year old, I turned to the wise words of Mr. Rogers and encouraged Mary to look for the helpers, and to be grateful that there are so many really good people in our world.

Yesterday afternoon we watched CNN together as she came home from school with countless questions about what happened in Boston, and always, "why would anyone do this?". That I can't answer, I'm not sure anyone really can, but I can try and help her see what good can be found on the other side of horrid.

Almost immediately she saw them, the people who, rather than run away from the smoke, turned and ran back to help, "Mom, there they are, there are the helpers!". It certainly doesn't make any more sense but it helps me to know that, as it should be, good out does bad, and the helpers, as Mr. Rogers assured us, are always there. Sometimes you just have to look a bit harder to find them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails