Thursday, February 7, 2013

Afternoon Delight

The woman in the car next to me was eating an ice cream cone. It was late in the day, a cool February Tuesday, and the woman, who looked to be about my age, was driving around enjoying an ice cream cone.

When I was young, and begged my dad to ride bikes with me to Topsy's Ice Cream, I knew that when I grew up and could do as I pleased, I would ride my bike to Topsy's every day. Sometimes I would get two scoops, most of the time I would get two scoops, and I would always, no exceptions, get my ice cream in a cone.

As it turns out, I never ride my bike to Topsy's. But it seems to me that every once in a while you should have ice cream in the middle of the day, for no reason other than you can, even if it's a snowy cold day when you should be at home eating soup. Being a parent has made me far more practical than I ever thought possible, and too often I say things like, "no, dinner is in an hour" or "walk around the puddles please".

It's nice to be reminded how much I loved a scoop of strawberry in a cone and just how good ice cream tastes in the middle of the day, before dinner, when there's no reason to be there, and no real reason not to be.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails