Monday, April 19, 2010

37? Not Our Choice

There were so many of them, Moms, a few Dads, many with children. They packed into the library last week, Friday being decision day, looking for something to tell them that this was right, this was the place. From the back of the room I watched, and listened to the very convincing presentation from the principal, the principal who really wants his school to be the best that it can be. I had heard it all before, just a year ago I was touring, listening, hoping and making the decision. And now the decision is made, so I sit back and listen, impressed with what I hear, and so happy to only be eavesdropping.

Of course if given the opportunity I am happy to share with anyone who cares to listen just how wonderful I think this school is, and how encouraged I am with what I see happening every day. A principal whose door is open, almost always; a teacher who asks the right questions, and is always ready for the onslaught of hugs she gets before the morning march into class; involved and interesting parents, and an diverse student body full of children eager to learn all lead me to believe that we made the right choice, even if it was made five days before school started. Mary and Kate's lifetime of education is off to a great start, and that is what I really wanted in a kindergarten, a place for them to be safe and to learn that school is a wonderful place full opportunity.

It is possible that the Chicago Public School system doesn't agree; threats to drastically cut the budget mean that we could quite likely see classrooms bulging with 37 students. Teachers could be reassigned, music teachers posing as kindergarten teachers, in the name of seniority. Gifted programs, varsity sports, bilingual education, and full day kindergarten are all at risk. And the real insanity is that parents are being asked to make choices for next year without the full benefit of information; the deadline for school registration was Friday, April 16th, and the budget has yet to be released for next year.

It appears that my volunteer librarian gig is safe, unlikely that the new budget will allow for an actual paid librarian to take over the job I love. The responsibility falls to the parents, to paint and shelve and read and raise money to protect the things we find basic and offer the chance to continue to dream of things we hope to someday have. The big schools have committees, the small schools have raffles, and auctions and parents who work hard to keep libraries open and science labs possible.

1 comment:

Doreen McGettigan said...

I really think it is time to shut down the federal department of education and leave education up to the states, communities, parents and teachers...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails