Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's My Turn

Remember this?
That was Jack, this is me, 80 mph in a 65 mph zone somewhere downstate, near Springfield as Officer Slow Down pulled out right in the middle of a conversation about the former Governor. A conversation about what happens when adults break the rules and how it is quite likely that Mr. Blagojevich is on his way to jail as he was not honest and did not follow the law.

Nor did their mother who thought she was clipping along at about 70 mph but was corrected when the flashing lights appeared in the rear view mirror. A very brief explanation to the children and the Illinois State Patrolman appeared at my window, not at all friendly, unhappy really, which is a difficult state to be in when Bert and Ernie are singing "Rubber Ducky". Mary began to cry, certainly assuming I would be whisked away to jail, leaving her with her sister on the side of the road.

We were all left on the side of the road after I fished out $75, which included 12 quarters, as highway patrol men in Illinois do not make change, nor do they take kindly to being offered $80 when you only must pay $75. Also to note, they do not seem to have a keen sense of humor as I pointed out that I had just two weeks ago received my Safe Driver Certificate from Secretary of State Jesse White, and he did not break a grin, obviously disagreeing completely with Jesse White's assessment of my driving skills.

And we were off, only seven and a half more hours, all driven at or very near the speed limit. It was a very long trip.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails