Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Missing Lyle

I'm a bit of a freak about the television. We started out with no television and have progressed to Sesame Street now and then, Postman Pat here and there, Mr. Rogers once in a while, and very little else. No movies, they have no idea who Nemo is, or Shrek, or anyone else who appears in a Disney movie (although I know this will change once they begin Kindergarten). I recently discovered something wonderful, HBO Storybook Musicals. HBO has taken some of the best loved classic children's stories and animated them, they are beautiful takes on some of my favorite childhood books. Tonight I allowed them to watch Lyle, Lyle the Crocodile while I made dinner. Happy girls, until Lyle must leave, until Signor Valenti, star of stage and screen, comes to take Lyle back to a life of showbiz. Mary and Kate whimpered, I peeked in, Mary and Kate cried, I consoled them, Mary and Kate sobbed and I gave up on dinner and curled up with my girls, assuring them that Lyle does come back to the Primm's house, all ends well. But until that Valenti brought Lyle home, there was no consoling them. They've read this book at least 100 times, they know the story so well they correct me when I miss a word and they never have this reaction. Today the thought of Lyle leaving put us all down.

And so the pasta boiled to a paste, ravioli bombs blowing their cheese all over the kitchen. Lyle came home to the Primm's, and Mary and Kate ate a mushy dinner with their mom and dad and all was right in our world. Let's hope Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel is a bit less dramatic.

http://www.hbofamily.com/

While you're there, check out the other HBO Family shows: Happy to Be Nappy and Other Stories of Me is wonderful, as is Goodnight Moon and Other Sleepytime Tales , and Classical Baby, and Classical Baby (I'm Grown Up Now): The Poetry Show.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails